Large Plates
Rain, lightning, interviews, service, and portuñol.
Such a good week!! Pday was fun as always. We played some basketball and gaga ball in the church gym and then went thrift shopping. I found my new favorite shirt! I've already worn it a few times this week haha. We ended the day with a barbecue and some water games.
As far as missionary work goes, we did a lot of knocking this week. It can be draining sometimes but we've had a lot of good come from it! Plus another cool thing is that we can do some Facebook work before we go out knocking, and then by the time we're done knocking we have a lot of people who have responded to us!
We also had interviews with President Ashcraft this week! He's so awesome. He's such an incredible example for each of us and it's always so good to be able to talk to him. He gave me a lot of good advice and I'm pumped for next transfer!
We also went on exchanges this week! Hermana Morris stayed in our area and I went to a different area. We did service for most of the day. We started off at a food bank which was so chaotic and crazy but it was a good time! And I got to see like 20 other missionaries, including some I hadn't seen for a while. We also went and helped one of the members in their ward prepare for a birthday party, so I got to do some painting which was fun! And then we were knocking for a little while and I got to speak portuñol (portuguese & español)! We met a lady who spoke portuguese and I told her I'm trying to learn portuguese but I speak Spanish (I said all of this in portuguese) and then she told me she spoke Spanish too! She started to speak Spanish but it became very evident that she didn't actually speak Spanish haha. So basically I talked to her in Spanish, but I used as many Portuguese words as I could. And then she spoke Portuguese and used as many Spanish words as possible haha. It was fun!
Also the weather has been CRAZY. We had some awesome lightning and there was a tornado here in Central Florida. Not Orlando though don't worry! I love this kind of weather though. Rain is so fun (even though it makes my hair super crazy haha) and the lightning is incredible. Add that to the list of reasons why Florida is the best.
Yesterday was a really good Sunday! All 3 of our recent converts came to church! It was the best. I wouldn't ask for anything more. All I want for them is to stay strong in the church for the rest of their lives. Andres got to go to young mens this week which was such a miracle because they can't normally stay for the second hour.
Small Plates
Apple trees and the Lord's vineyard
This week I read in Jacob 5 about the allegory of the tame and wild olive trees. Every time I read that chapter I can't help but think of my grandpa and his apple orchard. Today I want to draw a few parallels between the vineyard and the orchard because it really helped me deepen my understanding of this chapter:)
"The Lord of the vineyard said unto his servant: Come, let us go down into the vineyard, that we may labor in the vineyard."
In other words, Grandpa would never send the grandkids out to work alone. He always worked alongside us. Hand in hand. Sure, maybe there were days when he'd have Addison climb the tree, but grandpa would always be the one deciding which branches to trim.
The same goes for our work in the Lord's vineyard. This work is important. This work is the gathering of Israel. He's not going to require us to do it alone. He will be at our side at every moment. Sure, we might be the ones with our feet on the ground. But He's guiding us in every step of His work.
"The servant said unto his master: How comest thou hither to plant this tree, or this branch of the tree? For behold, it was the poorest spot in all the land of thy vineyard. And the Lord of the vineyard said unto him: Counsel me not; I knew that it was a poor spot of ground; wherefore, I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou beholdest that it hath brought forth much fruit."
Sometimes we would wonder why Grandpa did things the way he did. Some of his ideas were downright crazy. But in time, he always seemed to prove us wrong. He knew what he was doing. And his orchard has become beautiful because of the time and care he gave to each plant. If he had left it up to us, or his kids back in the day, to decide which plants to keep, we'd only have a fraction of the orchard we have today.
Ultimately, it's not up to us to decide which fruit is worth cultivating, to decide which people deserve to become a part of gathered Israel. It is our responsibility to give everyone the opportunity to hear the message of this gospel. Then it is in the hands of the Lord. He will do what He knows is best for each of His children. We just need to be willing to be instruments in His hands.
"Go to, and labor in the vineyard, with your might... and if ye labor with your might with me ye shall have joy in the fruit which I shall lay up unto myself"
What was everyone's favorite part of working in the orchard? The apples, of course. They were a snack while we worked, a drink at the end of the day, a pie on a Sunday evening, and food storage in case of hard times. Grandpa wanted everyone to enjoy the fruits of his orchard.
And the same goes for us in the Lord's vineyard. We don't have to be a part of this work just out of obligation, or even out of love (which love should be more than enough motivation). We are promised joy as we participate.
"And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!"
I've already tasted of the joy that comes from the work of gathering Israel. And I know the joy I feel is nothing compared to that joy I will feel in the presence of my Father. And my only wish would be for each of you to be able to feel of this joy. I love missionary work so much. I have genuinely never been happier in my entire life. And I know there is no greater cause on this earth today. So my invitation to you is to grab your work boots and come join us in the orchard. Go to the temple. Share your testimony with someone, or with your social media followers. Prepare to serve a mission. Keep serving diligently if you are already out in the field. Raise your kids in a gospel centered home. Live in a way that will help others to feel Christ's love through you. Whatever role the Lord has for you in His vineyard, my only hope is that you will be ready and willing to do His work and submit to His will.
No comments:
Post a Comment