Monday, July 18, 2022

Where are your priorities?

Large Plates 

A few highlights 


I was sick for the first half of the week so I'll be honest I don't really remember what we did haha. Here's some highlights from the week:


We helped a member move and now she's roomies with another member of the ward!! It was a solid workout because she was moving from a 3rd floor apartment to a 2nd floor apartment in a different complex haha. They can't come to church every Sunday because of work but we're trying to get them to read the Book of Mormon together and strengthen each other! 


We had an incredible lesson with one of my new favorite people ever! I've mentioned her before– Maria Belén. She is an absolute angel and she made us super yummy flautas and we got to chat with her about her job and her family. Her boyfriend and one of her best friends were there with us too. We sat down after the meal and talked about the Atonement for a literal hour and it was so good. Maria has a lot of questions and a lot of faith and it's so fun to talk to her! That was one of my favorite lessons I've ever been a part of. We just talked about the power of the Atonement and how it applies in our lives and the spirit was so strong! I'm so excited to watch Maria progress:)


We also got to go to the temple again this week!! We didn't do any ordinances but we walked around outside and taught Ktheleim about what goes on inside! She also has a lot of questions and a lot of faith. She's just so willing to learn and grow! Please keep her in your prayers as she keeps progressing!


Small Plates 

Where are your priorities?


I'm writing this after getting home from the Cajas' house for FHE. Bishop Cajas was in charge of the spiritual thought and he shared a video about priorities.


The video depicts a girl in High School who was involved in a lot of school activities, etc. and she got so busy and caught up in all of her hobbies that she stopped having time to pray. Or more accurately, she stopped making time to pray. 


As she stopped making her relationship with Heavenly Father a priority, her grades started slipping and she started falling behind in her sports practices. 


She got to the point where she recognized that she had her priorities all mixed up and that she was burning herself out. She was trying to control and navigate her life all on her own, and it worked for a while, but it wasn't a lasting solution. 


She realized she needed to put faith and family first.


Watching this video made me think of a lot of the people I have taught throughout my mission. I feel like people in Orlando are extra busy. Everyone works 7 days a week for 10-12+ hours a day, or so it seems. Free time isn't really a thing people have here. 


It's a stressful way to live! People barely have time to take care of themselves, let alone for serious scripture study.


But that's what sets my friends apart. They know where they're priorities are. Sure, they still work. A lot. But they are very intentional with their free time. This week, our friend Elizabeth called us during her 30 minute break at work because she knew she wouldn't be able to talk to us otherwise. She didn't wait until the work day was over to find time for the Lord. She thought ahead, anticipated time where she could learn more about her Savior, and she planned accordingly. 


She made time for the Lord.


Our prophet has urged us: "My brothers and sisters, I plead with you to make time for the Lord! Make your own spiritual foundation firm and able to stand the test of time by doing those things that allow the Holy Ghost to be with you always."


Life is busy. I know. Trust me. 


But I also know that God wants to hear from us. He wants to speak to us. He wants to strengthen us.


But we need to put ourselves in places and situations where we are capable of speaking to our Father in Heaven. Where we are capable of hearing Him. Where He can strengthen us.


It's in the simple things. It's in our daily prayers. It's in our scripture study. It's in going to church on Sunday, and to the temple when we can. 


To whomever may be reading this: if you are not making time for those simple things, make time today. 


Our loving Heavenly Father wants to bless us. He could bless us with everything we could ever need right this instant. But because He loves us so much, he gives us commandments upon which some of His blessings are predicated. The commandments in and of themselves are blessings. He asks us to read, study, pray, and worship because He knows those things will bless our lives.


I know I have been blessed by doing these things, and I'm sure I could do a better job. But that's the joy of daily repentance! We can always try a little harder and be a little better. 


And that's just what I'm asking you to do. Give a few minutes to your Heavenly Father. Pray to Him, or read about Him. As you do so, you will be blessed!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

My Homecoming Brunch Get together