Monday, January 9, 2023

Back to the City

Large Plates 

Good lessons, one of which was co-taught by a General Authority. God answering prayers I never even prayed, and transfer news (yes, again already).


Here's some highlights from this week!


We had a lesson with our 90-year old retired pilot friend Leo, and the Budges. The lesson was wonderful, and the Budges were so great to have there with us! Not only is Brother Budge an avid pilot, but the two of them are wonderful teachers. While we were there, I couldn't help but think, "wow, they've got a knack for this whole teaching thing!" Well, come to find out: it was announced this Sunday at Stake conference that they will be serving as mission leaders in the Côte d'Ivoire mission next year!! I told them on Sunday that that might make me consider serving a second mission so they can be my mission leaders haha. 


The night after Leo's lesson we had a pretty cool miracle! We were doing some Facebook finding and I was talking to this sweet lady named Martha. We had a really good back and forth conversation about faith! She said she loves Jesus and doesn't have a ton of friends, especially the kind who help her stay close to God. She goes to a zoom Bible study twice a week, but she told me she wants to learn more about the Book of Mormon. Well, come to find out she lives in my old area, Horizon West, where my old companions Sister Jackson and Sister Peterson are now serving!! I sent them her information and they reached out. The next morning they called her & she asked if they could just meet at the church. They did a church tour and Book of Mormon study with her and she loved it!! She's already reading the Book of Mormon, in Spanish to learn about it, and in English to learn English! So cool. 


On Wednesday we had a meeting in Orlando, which meant a road trip!!! The drive is a little over an hour, if traffic is good. So me and Sister Rubio turned on some good old Book of Mormon audio and hit the road bright and early so we could get there by 8. We had a good meeting, for her training, and walked away feeling motivated but overwhelmed haha. Training can be tough, cause sometimes I feel like I'm not telling her or showing her everything I need to. We were pretty tired after that, and both of us have been a bit under the weather, but we carried on! We went to District Council and gave a training which I felt like we learned more from than anyone else. With that spiritual boost, we finished out the night strong. We had a great lesson with Jean and Brother Rogers (more on them later) a call with Billy, and dinner with the Jaussi's.


The rest of the week was a bit slower due to me and Sister Rubio both being in less-than-ideal health haha. We still had a great phone lesson with Billy! He is opening up more and more and you guys!!! He's feeling and recognizing the spirit!!! He told us that he tries to just read a page of the Book of Mormon but every time he does, he can't put it down. He reads at least 10 pages every time he picks up the book. He even had a dream about reading! Crazy. He has a long way to go in his progress but he really is progressing and it has been so fun to be a part of. 


This is kind of a random miracle but on Thursday I told Sister Rubio that I wanted to try this Italian place on the Island and that same night our friend Veronica messaged us and asked us if we wanted to meet her, her son, and Veronica's member friend there on Friday! We went and it was delicious. We had a little lesson after in their car, and she seems very curious about the Book of Mormon. We're excited to keep meeting with her and helping her learn more! She's really smart, so it's going to be really fun, but really challenging to teach her. 


Saturday was tons of fun. We had to get an oil change in the morning, and when we went we met a super duper inactive member! He still isn't ready to come back to church, but hopefully we were able to plant a good seed. We went to the mall that afternoon and talked to a lot of cool people, and then we came home, ate our leftover Italian food, and headed out to the Adult Session of Stake conference! 


The adult session of stake conference may have been the highlight of my week. The first miracle was quite immediate. I really wanted to sit with our friends Jean and Brother Rogers so we could continue to fellowship them and so that we could help her understand what was going on. So I said aloud, "Sister Rubio, I sure hope we can find the Rogers." Before I had even closed my mouth they walked in the door. So awesome. Then, we walked into the chapel and the Usher guided us right to the front row, and sat us in the middle. That was perfect for Jean because then she could feel like she was the only one in the audience. 


Elder Bowen and Elder Galt, General Authority Seventies, were there to call a new Stake Presidency. The spirit was so strong and their talks were wonderful. Elder Bowen picked up on the fact that Jean wasn't a member, so he often directed his remarks to her. A good portion of his talk was about two very specific questions: 


"Are you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?"


"Why not?"


Needless to say, he had her attention.  After the rest of his wonderful talk. We made the very short journey to the stand to meet him. We said our hellos and then he Jean got into a very powerful conversation. Within mere moments Jean shared some of her biggest doubts and concerns with this total stranger. We had been trying to uncover those concerns for weeks. But, the reason that hadn't happened is because Heavenly Father knew she needed to open up to someone who could relate to her. One of her biggest concerns is that we don't baptize infants. She told that to Elder Bowen, and he responded so clearly and in such a Christlike way. He lost his little boy when he was 8 months old. He tells the story in a General Conference address, you should listen to it. They talked a moment about the principle of accountability and I think it really opened Jean's eyes and heart. We told her we would study it with her on Wednesday and we let Elder Bowen go to keep saying hi to the press of people that surrounded him. 


The Sunday General Session was great too! I got to translate!! Me, Brother Rusk, and Brother Bullinger all took turns translating from the Family History center. Honestly, I think that's one of the reasons Heavenly Father sent me here to Merritt Island: so I could see how hard and how fun live translation is. I think that might be something I want to pursue in the future. 


Speaking of God's plans for me: this week we got transfer news, and I'll be moving to the Valencia Spanish ward in Orlando! I'm so so sad to leave Merritt Island, but I'll be back to visit:) I really have loved this ward and the wonderful members. I hope they don't forget me, because I certainly won't forget them. It's sad to leave after only 6 weeks of being here, but I know it's God's plan for me, and I'm excited to see it all play out. 


Small Plates 

If you're going to pray for rain, you better bring an umbrella or that was a faithless prayer. 


One of my favorite random missionary activities this week was coordinating with an RM, a recent convert from who knows where, and the Blakes, some members of our ward. The RM, her name is Jocelyn, reached out to me on Facebook. She just happened to message me when I had just picked up my phone, so I saw the notification come in. She asked me if I could bring her friend Zerik, a recent convert, a Book of Mormon that he could give to someone!


I thought, "well gee, of course we can!" We got the information for the hotel and we saw that we weren't going to be anywhere near that area that day. But all was not lost! The Blakes, our knights in shining armor, had a spare Book of Mormon in their home, and were willing to take it to him! They went over about an hour after I got the initial message. So cool. 


We messaged Zerik in the midst of coordinating all of this and we asked him if he had met someone who he was giving the book to. We wanted to hear the story. This was his reply:


"Not yet but the lord guides me to who."


That's so awesome. This guy, new to the church, has such a great love for the Book of Mormon and such faith in its converting power, that he was certain there had to be someone he needed to give it to while he was on his beachside vacation. 


But that's not all. The Blakes asked us to replenish their Book of Mormon supply, meaning they probably have a similar attitude.  


All of the talks at Stake conference were wonderful. One overarching theme was the importance of opening your mouth. They shared stories over and over about the power of opening your mouth and allowing God to use you as an instrument in His hands. The thing is, He can't speak to people through you if your mouth isn't open. 


They invited us to take courage and open our mouths, and do so with firm faith that Heavenly Father will give us the words to say. They invited the Stake to pray for missionary opportunities, and that's where the line, "If you're going to pray for rain, you better bring an umbrella or that was a faithless prayer." 


He explained that if you really want Heavenly Father to give you missionary opportunities, you need to be armed and ready. Be like Zerik and the Blakes. Have a Book of Mormon on hand before you know who you plan to give it to. Carry a pass along card in your wallet with the missionaries number on it. Because you never know when Heavenly Father will use you as an instrument to give His children what they need. 


What I learned this weekend is that I will always have an extra Book of Mormon in my home, in my car, and in my suitcase anywhere I go. Because I, too, have such a great love for the Book of Mormon and such faith in its converting power, that I am certain there has to be someone I need to give it to while I'm on my beachside vacations, and at the grocery store, and everywhere in between.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Homecoming Brunch Get together