Large Plates
Valentines day, birthday, baptism, basher, and cow glands.
Another awesome week! I genuinely couldn't be happier here. Hermana Morris and I have so much fun and the time just flies. Every time Sunday rolls around we just have to sit there with our minds blown cause it feels like we literally just had church the day before.
Pday was so much fun! It was Valentine's day so the Cluffs, one of the senior couples, had us all over for breakfast! We ate so many crepes and just spent some good quality time together. And of course they told us how they met which was fun haha. Then we went to the church and played basketball (aka the sisters watched the Elders play… one of our new ZLs is more than twice my size so I wasn't about to get in on that game haha). We went to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner at the end though so I was content!
The next day was Hermana Morris' birthday and she got the best present a missionary could ask for: a BAPTISM!!! Wendy finally got baptized and it was so awesome. Wendy is such a sweetheart and such a good mom. Her baptism was small because she didn't want to make it a big deal and she didn't want a bunch of strangers there watching her. It was super sweet.
After the baptism we went over to a member's house for dinner and she had a little surprise party for Hermana Morris! We weren't sure if she knew it was her birthday or not haha. She had yummy food and a gluten free cake! Little did she know it was the same gluten free cake we had bought at Publix for ourselves. So yeah we've been eating gluten free cake all week and will probably continue to do so this week haha.
We also got to suck in the helium from some balloons and you already know we had the time of our lives doing that haha.
Also! We got bashed for the first time this week! Some dude shouted out "hey! Are you Mormons?" And then proceeded to tell us about how the Book of Mormon can't be true. But his argument was super invalid and honestly kinda funny so we weren't phased by it. It would take too long to explain in this email but to give you a summary he basically ended up validating the Book of Mormon with some Bible verses. Pretty much all he accomplished was wasting 30 minutes of our time.
We also had a ward Valentine's party this week! There's not a whole lot to say about it though haha. It was pretty much the same as the Christmas party, with all the yummy food and loud music, but we didn't get to dance this time cause dancing started after 9 when we had to leave… bummer.
On Saturday we went over to Wendy's to teach Andres his last lesson and plan his baptism! It was a good lesson and he's such a sweet kid. They wanted us to stay after for a barbecue with them and some members and some friends. It ended up taking way longer than we expected, but it was good to be there for Wendy and Andres and for everyone else there. Also they cooked up some wacky meat and it was yucky. I'm still not sure what it was but from what I understand it is a gland from a cows neck? Idk. But it was squishy and jiggly and pretty much every bad adjective I could think of. I wouldn't recommend it.
Sunday was crazy busy and crazy good, as usual. Wendy got confirmed and bishop's wife gave an incredible talk. We had quite a few people we're teaching in church too! Wendy brought Andres with her and I sat by them. Fransis brought her two boys with her. I love her family so much and I have really high hopes for them. She's such a good mom and her boys are so sweet. And to end the day we had dinner at Bishop's house, as usual. I love that family so much.
Small Plates
How to know the Book of Mormon is true
I finished the Book of Mormon this week for the first time since getting to Florida, so I figured I'd focus my thoughts on that today.
This is very missionary of me, but I want to focus on the promise written in the last chapter of the book:
"Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
"And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
"And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."
This is a super powerful promise, but it can seem vague at the same time. What does the Holy Ghost feel like? How do I know if it's telling me the Book of Mormon is true?
The last time I finished the Book of Mormon, these verses from Doctrine and Covenants came to my mind as I prayed:
"But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right."
"Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart."
These verses tell us to study it out in our mind, and that the Holy Ghost will tell us in our mind. That's how the Holy Ghost usually speaks to me. In this case, the Holy Ghost guided me to the realization that the Book of Mormon tells us so much about being good people. I've picked different topics to mark each time I read and I always find so much in the Book of Mormon about each topic.
So, logically, I should just choose to believe the book because it tells me what I need to do to become a better person.
But the Holy Ghost doesn't just speak to us in our minds. He speaks to us in our hearts. Maybe when you pray about it, you feel peace. That's a confirmation that you're in the right place and doing the right thing. Or maybe you feel that burning in your bosom. That's the Holy Ghost too. He's there within you and it burns because He wants you to recognize Him. Or because He dwells in Holy places and your sincere prayer has provided Him with a place He really wants to be. His joy is full within you and sometimes it feels like you can't contain all the joy, so it burns.
Whatever way the spirit speaks to you, He's telling you to believe the Book of Mormon is true because it is.
I know the Book of Mormon is true and we can be given the strength and peace we need day to day as we regularly read and study its teachings. I know Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the Restoration and that he translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God. If you are not regularly studying the Book of Mormon, please do so.
Before Thomas S. Monson passed, these words were his plea to us as part of the Lord's Church:
"I implore each of us to prayerfully study and ponder the Book of Mormon each day. As we do so, we will be in a position to hear the voice of the Spirit, to resist temptation, to overcome doubt and fear, and to receive heaven’s help in our lives."
I testify of his words and do so in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment