Monday, February 14, 2022

Blueberries and Sunsets

Large Plates

Transfers! Mine and Carmen's dream of opening an arepa truck: part two. Service at the Salvation Army and so many blueberries.


I know I say this every week but wow this week FLEW by. I don't know where the time goes. 


Pday was fun of course. It was the last pday of the transfer, which was extra sad because our district has been the same for 2 transfers, so we're all really good friends. Sister Storms went home, Elder Means went to France, Elder Boatman got transferred to a different area, and we lost the Portuguese Elders, Bell and Seeley, because their area got closed down. But! Me & Hermana Morris are sticking around! And the new missionaries are awesome. Elder Mortensen (Jensen's new comp) is super nice, Elder Murray (the greenie! Harmer's training again) is our new district baby, and Sister Carter is an ANGEL. It's going to be a good transfer:)


One of the highlights of this week was that we were able to go see Carmen! Of course we had a very spiritual lesson because she's a SPIRITUAL GIANT. But then! She made us arepas!!! Her arepas are literally the best I have ever had. She was a chef back in Venezuela before moving here so she knows how to cook super well. And the best part is she has made a different kind of arepa every time we've come, because she wants me to be able to try as many kinds as possible. She wants me to know everything there is to know about arepas so I can help decide what's going on the menu on our food truck when I get home. She's 100% serious about doing it. And I'm 101% down to do it with her. I'm seriously so excited haha. She says she's gonna go on a vacation this year so she can know if she likes it, and then if she does like it she'll move there when my mission's over. I love her so stinkin much.


We also got to do service with the Salvation Army this week! They had a Valentine's dinner for people in a low-income old folks home. It was so cute to watch all the old folks from all around the world get to know each other and dance! Some of those old ladies can party hard haha. Also, they got a donation of two pallets of blueberries so they sent us away with more blueberries than we knew what to do with. And they sent the High Counselor that was with us away with even more.


That's pretty much it for the highlights this week! We were super busy and I honestly don't remember much else about what happened...


Small Plates 

Sunrises, sunsets, and your loving Heavenly Father.


This week we've had some really beautiful sunrises and sunsets (and my missionary schedule means I get to be awake, and normally outside, for both! Yay!). Sometimes Hermana Morris and I just stop our conversation for a second just to point it out and say "nice!" Other times, we drop everything we're doing to get a picture before it's gone. If you've ever seen my mom at sunset you'd notice we're very similar in that aspect haha. 


But my favorite thing that Hermana Morris did this week when we saw a really good sunset was say "Wow. Heavenly Father really loves us so much, doesn't he?!"


Yes, he does. 


We had a family home evening with Bishop Cajas' family a while back and we listened to the Primary song I Feel My Savior's Love and shared things in our life that remind us of His love for us. We all wrote down the thing we were going to share before we went around. I wanted to be original, so I didn't write down the normal missionary answers: my mission, my companion, the Book of Mormon. I'm thankful for all of those of course. I also didn't want to cry with gratitude cause that would have been awkward. So I didn't write down any of your names, although I'm eternally grateful for each one of you! 


So what was my answer to the question "How do you know He loves you?"


He makes sunrises and sunsets beautiful even though they don't have to be.


I still have the paper I wrote that down on. 


Yeah yeah, it's cheesy, I know. But think about it! Does he really have to make them that BEAUTIFUL? Is that necessary?? Not even a little bit. The world would still go on day to day if we never had pretty sunsets.


But He loves us SO MUCH. More than we can even comprehend. But we can catch a glimpse of that love if we just take a second to look at the world around us. 


For those of you back home in Utah, look at those mountains you are surrounded by! You lucky ducks. Look at how majestic they are! 


I love mountains, and I honestly missed them a lot when I first got out here. But now I've come to appreciate just how much of the sky I can see. There are so many clouds and they just keep on going! 


I have friends all over the world right now on their own missions. The climate and the landscape are different in every one. But I can guarantee there's beauty in every place. 


Alma said "all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator." 


All things denote there is a Creator. There is too much order in the universe for there not to be a Creator. But better yet, the beauty of all of these things denotes that this Creator of whom we speak is more than just a creator. He is a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to know and to see and to feel of the love that He has for us.


How cool is that??


You are so loved. Please never forget that. And if you do forget, I hope the next sunrise or sunset helps you remember again. Because God's love for you is even more constant and sure than the rising and setting sun. It is infinite and complete and personal and powerful. And it will never go away.


Pics:

•My turtle friend!

•Morning walks with Sister Scott & some really beautiful sunrises  

•Mirror selfie in a ghetto mirror

•Last pics of the best district there ever was

•So many blueberries (good thing ColdStone trained me to carry my weight in fruit )

•So much blueberry crepe filling

-Me and my cute comp:))












No comments:

Post a Comment

My Homecoming Brunch Get together