Monday, December 12, 2022

A little lesson in ship building, written by the girl who lives by Port Canaveral;)

Large Plates 

Miracle lessons, amazing friends, and some of my favorite members:)


This week flew by. We've been meeting a lot of people and teaching a lot of lessons! It's awesome! We made a couple of trips over to the Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral part of our area, which is something we hadn't done last week. I saw the ocean for the first time on my mission! Its beautiful, but it's hard not to just take off my shoes and run full sprint into the water haha. 


We also went with some incredible members, the Budges, to a place called Old Fish House. It's a fish n chips place over by the beach, owned and staffed by some other members of the ward! The Roderers, the owners, are an adorable family from Switzerland and they just love the missionaries. They have a daughter out right now. We ate some yummy fish and enjoyed each other's company. Island life is a good life, folks. 


We've had a ton of miracles and met some really awesome people. I don't have time or thumb strength to tell you about all of them haha. It's been really good though. Lots of people are really set in their ways, but lots of people have also been prepared for this gospel! When I first got to this area my dad said "you're gonna be teaching cruise ship employees and rocket scientists." I thought he was funny. It turns out he's not just funny, though. He's right. 


Our friend Alfreda is the one who works with the cruise ships. Last week she told us she was supposed to be on the Harmony of the Seas, but had a change of schedule haha. Anyway, she's great! She submitted a pray request through one of the Church's ads, because her son is going through some health problems. We called her and prayed with her and had a really powerful discussion. She came to church, too! Everyone keep her and her son in your prayers:)


Our friend Veronica is the rocket scientist. She and her husband both work here in Cape Canaveral– that's actually where they met! We met them when their friend Sandra (a member of our ward) brought them to our Christmas party! Sandra is an incredible member missionary, and Veronica is an absolute sweetheart! We went over to her home for dinner last night and ate some really yummy enchiladas and hot wings. 


Our friend Philip is awesome too! Although, I'm not sure what he does for work. I'll have to ask, haha. He's a middle aged southern man with a lot of love for Jesus, and tons of desire to learn more! He came to church yesterday, too, and had a great experience. He made lots of friends and they all invited him back next week! High hopes for him!


Unfortunately, Yoannis told us that he's too busy to keep learning more right now. We know this gospel is exactly what his family needs, but he just can't see it. Pray that he can have a change of heart here soon!


Last but not least, I wanted to write about a super tender experience we had yesterday, Sunday. Some of the recent converts in the ward, Sandra and Valeri, had to move out of where they were staying, but they didn't have anywhere to go. When we got here last week we went to ward council where we discussed what could be done to help them. There was discussion for a while about who might be able to help, and what the options are. But then sweet Sister Brown volunteered herself and her home. Yesterday was the day they started moving in. We went over for lunch and Sandra, Valeri, the Rusks, and the Browns were all there. Sandra and Valeri only speak Spanish, the Rusks are bilingual, and the Browns only speak English. Brother Rusk was doing a lot of translation haha. 


We got a little house tour and showed Sandra and Valeri where they would be staying, and then we sat down for some Chicken soup and good conversation.  At the end we shared a spiritual thought, as the missionaries always do. It was one of the most spiritual I've been a part of. I was afraid that my jumping back and forth from Spanish to English would distract from the spirit, but it was all the opposite. We got to talking about Christmas and what it means and what we should be doing to turn outward and help those around us. I am blown away by these families. Each one of them are such good examples of turning outward and being Christlike. Each and every one of them could be heard saying "here am I, send me" every. single. day. They're all just so willing to help others and be a light in this world and I'm so grateful for each of them. Love this ward.



Small Plates 


A little lesson in ship building, written by the girl who lives by Port Canaveral;)


This week I was reading in 1 Nephi 18. It's a chapter I've read dozens of times–a story I'm quite familiar with. But, just like every other chapter in the Book of Mormon, I fall more in love with it each time I read it. This chapter is where Nephi writes about what it's like for him to build a boat. 


Although, this story isn't just about a boat. He didn't tell us about boat-building because he wanted us to know how to build a boat. He wasn't much of a carpenter himself, let alone a shipwright. He didn't have much expertise in the field of boat-building, and any wisdom he did have frankly wouldn't be of much use to us. I don't know about you, but I've never had much need to know how to build a boat, nor do I know anyone who has. 


Nephi did have some skills we can learn from, however. He was well trained in the art of trusting in God. He had done it time and time again, and we will need to do the same. 


Nephi's account of his career as a shipwright is condensed into 4 mere verses, right at the beginning of the chapter. But wow, there is a lot to learn from them.


He explains that they first got to work on the timbers of the boat. After all, they couldn't build much of a boat without the beams of wood needed to do so. Out there in the wilderness, they didn't have the option to go to the nearest Home Depot and pick out the straightest 2 by 4s either. Everything was up to them, starting from the very beginning, even down to the very tools they used to work the wood.


As they worked, the Lord showed Nephi, "from time to time after what manner [he] should work the timbers of the ship." He didn't build the ship the way a shipwright would, nor did he prepare the wood the way a carpenter would. No, he, "did build it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto [him]; wherefore, it was not after the manner of men."


And how did he remain worthy of the guidance of the Lord throughout the whole process? He, "did go into the mount oft, and [he] did pray oft unto the Lord."


So what do we learn about trusting in the Lord from a story about a boat?


If we are willing to do God's will, we must do it in God's way. 


Sometimes in life we are given a burdensome task. Maybe "task" isn't even the right word. I don't know. I feel like when I say "task" I'm talking about something you can buckle down and cross off your to-do list in less than a day. Building a boat is no small task. 


It's a challenge. It's a commitment, and a calling. How did Nephi tackle it?


He started with the timbers. 


Have you ever been given a challenge like the one the Lord gave Nephi? Have you ever thought to yourself, "wow. I have no idea how I'll ever do this."


Start with the timbers. 


Or maybe you don't even know what the challenge is. Our lives are not often that straightforward. Sometimes we know what God wants us to do. Sometimes we are sure of our purpose. 


But what if we're not? What if we feel the burden of a challenge upon our shoulders but can't even tell what the burden is? What if the end is so far away we can't even visualize what it would be like if we were to get there?


Start with the timbers. 


Some of the things God requires of us seem impossible. But all things are possible through Him. If we do His will, in His way, He will guide us through. But that's just the thing. We must build our lives after the manner which the Lord has instructed us. 


Even working timber might seem to be a daunting task, no? But Nephi made sure to do even that seemingly small task in the Lord's way. He even went "into the mount oft, and… did pray oft unto the Lord."


Involve Heavenly Father in every step of the process. He wants to be there, and to lead you by the hand. My dear mission president taught in his General Conference talk that as we do so, "the Lord will give us the answers or the necessary strength for us to get through one more day, one more week, and to try one more time"


Whatever it is that you're going through–whatever ship you're building– know that your Heavenly Father is with you every step of the way. 


Maybe you're making the finishing touches on your yacht or your cruise ship. Or maybe you're halfway through preparing your first piece of timber. Wherever you are on your journey through whatever battle you are facing: know He is with you and is guiding you in every step, if you will but have the faith to let Him. 












No comments:

Post a Comment

My Homecoming Brunch Get together