Monday, May 9, 2022

The Infinite Atonement


 Large Plates 

Sup-par Greek food, world class Arepas. 


Guess what? We had another good week here in the best mission in the world.


Last Pday, we took a train to Downtown Orlando to look at some shops and get some Greek food! The food wasn't great but I was in good company in a beautiful place so, of course I enjoyed it. 


I had quite a few fun experiences this week! I don't have a ton of time so I'm just going to write a few highlights. We got to go over to my best friend Carmen's house and she made us arepas and they were SO GOOD. I love her arepas so much. We got to talking (again) about opening a food truck together in Utah, and I swear every time we talk about it, I'm more and more convinced it's going to happen. She is in love with the idea of moving to Utah and she told me she thinks about it every day. We literally talked about how exactly we're going to structure the menu and what ingredients we need and how we're going to market it. Also she did have an Arepa restaurant in Venezuela so she's actually an expert and I am genuinely just thrilled to know her.


I also saw a Gator this week! We went to a park to try to get to know some people, and ended up talking to a guy who was fishing in one of the lakes. Long story short, he used the bait on his line to lure an alligator out of the pond so we could see it. If that doesn't illustrate to you the way the people of Florida are, I don't know what will. 


We also went to a few yard sales to try to find people! We went to one where this Brazilian guy was giving away so. many. granola bars. We were the first ones there so we started talking to him and I used my very broken Portuguese and we had a fun conversation. Then some Hispanics showed up and some Americans, so I was translating from Spanish to Portuguese to English and everywhere in between! It was good practice for me :)


Small Plates

The Infinite Atonement 


This week, I dove into the book The Infinite Atonement anytime I had a minute of free time. Every time I think I have a good understanding of the Atonement and its implications in my life, I am proven wrong. There's always so much more to know. 


The Atonement is more incredible than we could ever imagine. I don't even know how to articulate its power and significance. 


Infinite is such an abstract concept. It's something we'll never be able to understand in this life, because our finite minds simply cannot understand anything infinite. 


But because the Atonement is conceptually and experientially infinite, that means there is always something more we can learn about it. That's the realization I've come to understand and appreciate this week. 


Choosing to dedicate every free moment of my day to understand Savior and His role in my life opened my mind. In no way do I dare to claim I am some scriptural mastermind, but I will say I was thrilled to see an increase in my capacity to understand the infinite. 


I was reading in Matthew 7 this week, where it says, "For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."


Our Heavenly Father loves us so much. He wants to give us everything. He has given us everything. But, "everything" belongs on that scale of infinity. So there's always more He can and will give. That includes understanding and knowledge. 


He will give us anything we want, so long as it is in line with His will. For me this week, he gave me understanding, which then gave me appreciation. He helped me to take one tiny step closer to understanding something infinite. 


And that's just it. That's the essence of The Infinite Atonement. The Atonement is the very reason we can ask our Father in Heaven for help. It is the very means by which we receive that divine assistance. The Atonement gives us direct access to the powers of Heaven. The magnificence of it all is that we owe all of the subsequent blessings of that Heavenly power to Jesus the Christ.


What I'm trying to articulate here, more than anything else, is that Christ loves us SO MUCH. We'll never be able to understand it. But we can always understand it just a little bit more. Greater understanding of something so awe-inspiring as the Atonement brings greater joy. I don't know about you, but that is so motivating to me. 


I already feel so much love every time I think about my Savior and what He did for me. And this week I have felt more love than ever. And I know that next week I will feel even more love, because I will have even more understanding. Every day, we have the chance to draw closer to our Savior, and as we do so, He will draw closer to us. 


That's my invitation for you. Learn of Him. Learn who He is and what He did, and most importantly: learn how what He did applies to you


I know as you do so you will be filled with God's love and enlightenment, and a greater appreciation for yourself, those around you, and for your Savior Jesus Christ. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

My Homecoming Brunch Get together