![]() |
| Being Silly with the Primary Children during the Father's Day Song practice. |
Quick summary:)
This week was also a busy week but I don't want to write a giant email like I did last week, so here are a few highlights:
Alba and Lucero have been preparing diligently for their baptisms next week! We've had a few good lessons with both of them and I love them both so much!
I got to play piano for the primary kids because they were practicing their Father's day song. The ward pianist didn't end up coming to church either, so I played the hymns and the primary songs in church haha.
We went over to this cute member family's house & helped the mom with some things around the house. They have 3 cute crazy boys and they both have big callings and he works in management for Jetblue so they're so so busy. It felt so good to help them out!
We had a really fun Father's day activity on Saturday! Basically we just made the men play minute to win it games and we all laughed at them while they did it. We had yummy food and bishop's wife was so sweet and made us vegetarian chili.
Last, but not least, Kevin was baptized this week! See more in the Small Plates:)
Small plates
The Holy Ghost is real.
Kevin was baptized this week! The Elders in our ward were the ones who taught him, and we are so happy to be adding him to our ward family! His baptism was a really special experience.
We had a ward activity right before the baptism, so there were quite a few people who stuck around to support him. Right from the start, the spirit was so strong. Kevin was really nervous but really excited. The YSA Elders brought their friend Emma, a really sweet girl they're teaching, so me and Hermana Jackson sat by her to make her feel happy & comfortable. She's so awesome.
The Elders asked their recent convert of about a month to give the talk on the Holy Ghost. Just to give you some context on this man, he comes from very humble circumstances and a very humble education in his country. Back when the Elders were teaching him, they used to say they felt like he only had about 3 default phrases that he would respond with. That may have been an exaggeration, but the idea is that he was not very well-spoken. He had the biggest heart, but he's a man of few words.
We've seen a change in him since he was baptized and received the Holy Ghost. We see a change in everyone after their baptisms, but I was just really struck by this man's experience.
He got up to give his talk, and the spirit that was already there just filled the room with power. He spoke about the Holy Ghost and his talk was so beautiful and eloquent and I was blown away. I had never heard him express himself so well.
The Spirit can take our weaknesses and turn them into strengths. Especially when those strengths are to be used to bear testimony of Truth.
I felt the spirit so strong. And it wasn't just because of the words he was saying. It's because what he was saying is true. When we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, we are promised the constant companionship of the Third Member of the Godhead.
The Spirit always testifies of truth. So, if the Spirit is present, that means whatever is being taught or shared is true. And the spirit will testify whether we understand the words that are being said or not.
That's what happened for Emma. She doesn't speak Spanish, but she came to the baptism to see how it is. She didn't understand a word of what they were saying, but the Spirit touched her heart. At one point in the baptismal service, she turned to us and said, "wow, I'm so emotional right now." All I said was, "can you feel it?" And pointed to my chest, which felt like it was about to burst open with joy. She nodded.
After the baptism, we stayed by her side and talked to her for a little while. She explained how she had felt. She said "I don't understand Spanish. But that spirit was so strong." She's so motivated to keep learning and keep progressing towards baptism!
I love that the Spirit speaks to us regardless of whether or not we understand the words it is testifying of. There is a lot I don't understand, even in English. For the sake of illustrating an example, temple ordinances and covenants pretty much go over my head. But, I feel the spirit when I'm in the temple. Because the things we hear and learn and do in the temple are true and of God. And it's okay if we don't understand it all yet. If we just pay attention to how we feel, and recognize the testimony of the Spirit, that is enough.
Knowledge comes line upon line throughout eternity. But after we receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, truth can be known in an instant, so long as we are worthy of the companionship of the Spirit and in tune with His whispers.
Although I don't know everything about this Church, I know it's true. Because the Spirit has told me so. And that is enough for me.
![]() |
| "Floating Activity" ( Sailor hats while dipping Oreos in milk ) |
![]() |
| Last Activity with one of our Senior Couples |
![]() |
| Buena Ventura Primary- Father's Day Song Practice |




No comments:
Post a Comment