Monday, August 15, 2022

Obedience brings blessings

 Large Plates 

Exchanges, languages, and the Germans


It was another crazy busy, crazy good week! We started it off with a pretty relaxed pday. We spent the morning at Disney Springs, until we got rained out. Then we headed over to the church and just socialized! It was actually tons of fun. I really like this district and it was good to be able to get to know them better! 


That night we went over to a member's house for dinner and found out her house had flooded! So, we ate with them, and then spent time getting the water out of her carpet with a water vacuum. It felt good just to do an impromptu act of service!


Tuesday was our first exchange of the week. I stayed in my area with Sister Torres (who was in my old zone, so I know her well!), and Sister Rowell went to the Portuguese area with Sister Rigby (from Ridgeline!). We spent the whole day finding people to teach, and I had so much fun. I got to talk to people in 4 languages! English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Hatian Creole. I'm definitely not fluent in all of them, but it was fun to use them all! We sent out referrals to missionaries serving in each language. It was so motivating! I just want to keep learning and progressing in my language skills. I was able to practice my Portuguese with Sister Torres (she's from Brazil) and I felt like I did okay conversing with her! I definitely wouldn't say I speak the language, but I can chat a little bit haha. 


Sister Torres and I found some really amazing people on Tuesday. We went to an apartment complex because we felt like we needed to visit someone who had previously been taught. When we talked to him, he still wasn't very interested. We knew we were in that apartment complex for a reason, so we looked at our member records for the area. We found a family that we decided to visit, and when we knocked on their door, they let us right in! We got to know them a bit. They haven't been to church in a while, since leaving their country, and they want to start coming back! They introduced us to their 2 kids, neither of which have been baptized yet. We're really hoping to help this family return to full activity in the church and we want to help their kids progress toward baptism! Please keep them in your prayers.


Wednesday we started off the day with service on the Temple grounds! We scrubbed the white benches until they were squeaky clean. Afterward, we went home to do our studies and calls and then we headed to the church to teach English class! We started teaching, and then some of my favorite members, the Bautistas, showed up and said, "if you don't mind, we were thinking we would do something different for class today!" Long story short, it was Hermano Bautista's birthday and we ended up having a potluck and teaching them all of the things that people might say at a dinner. It was the most fun English class I have ever been a part of. 


We went on another exchange this week too! This time, I was still in Horizon West, but with Sister Theurer (from Ridgeline as well)! It was tons of fun and she's super cute. We did a ton of finding and met some cool people!


Sunday was the perfect was to end the week! Our friends Germán and Dayanis, and their two kids, Germán and Germán (yes, I know it's confusing) came to church!! They're the family I talk about in the small plates this week! I'm also starting to know and love the members! The talks and lessons were awesome and we got to chat with President some more in our accounting call. I love President and Sister Schmeil so much:)



Small Plates 


Obedience brings blessings: the couch edition


This week I learned a lot! I'm having a hard time deciding what lesson I learned that I want to share with you, because I learned so many valuable life lessons. 


One of my favorites, though, is that obedience brings blessings! I don't know if I've already mentioned this, but our mission (and every mission in the world, if they're following the council of our church leaders in Salt Lake) is getting rid of our couches. 


I know. It's kind of odd. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's just something we have been asked to do. Lots of missionaries have had a hard time with this rule, and they haven't wanted to follow it. But, we've been promised that as we keep the commandments and follow the council of our priesthood leaders, we will be blessed. 


We found out there are some members in our ward who refurbish furniture, so we gave them our couch, and then put every missionary that needed help getting rid of their couch in touch with them. They ended up with so many couches haha. 


We trusted that we would be blessed for our obedience, but we figured the blessings would have little to nothing to do with the couches. Couches and missionary work don't have much in common.


Well, on Thursday, those members who refurbish couches called us and told us they had seen a miracle! It turns out that they had been in contact with one of the families we are currently teaching, and they offered to bring them a couch! This family is very new to the country and don't have a lot of furniture for their home. 


The members went over there to give them their couch and long story short they sat down and had a 2 hour conversation about the gospel and answered a bunch of their questions and just really fellowshipped them.  They even met one of their sons, who we had never met. 


It was exactly what this family needed. And it wouldn't have happened if missionaries hadn't been obedient to a seemingly random rule. I don't know. I just think that's really cool. 


Their whole family, including the son we had never met, came to church on Sunday! I'm excited to see them keep growing and learning. They're really awesome and I love them a lot. 


And who knows? Maybe that lesson on the couch (it even could have been our couch!) will end up being a pivotal point in their conversion!






No comments:

Post a Comment

My Homecoming Brunch Get together